Re: Compare logical standby database with Advanced Replication

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2003 15:45:32 -0700

I would recommend going with a logical standby database. I set one up recently, and was impressed with the result, in terms of both performance and features. The documentation on tahiti.oracle.com was generally good, even if they forgot some warnings (for example, if both databases are on the same machine, using OMF's will kill your attempt to create a logical standby, since you can't rename it!). My advice is to first practice at creating a logical standby on a dev box, and only after you were successful at least once go for it for real. Go through the whole doc first, as many options are possible, and very little can be changed after the standby was created (without recreating it). To answer your question, it is possible to create objects only in the logical standby database (take a look at DBMS_LOGSTDBY.GUARD_BYPASS_ON and DBMS_LOGSTDBY.GUARD_BYPASS_OFF procedures).

Daniel Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 17:45:32 CDT