Re: Oracle 9i on Redhat 9: no go??

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_hjp.at>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:24:05 +0200

On 2003-04-21 12:38, Kenneth A Kauffman <kkauffman_at_nospam.headfog.com> wrote:

> "Ace" <aceducy_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> My 2c is this: I really dislike Windows servers, but you have to admit
>> - there's a whole lot less hastle when installing something like Ora.

I haven't installed Oracle on Windows yet. I have installed a few instances of Oracle 8.0.5 (that was easy - just unpack the tar file and start the database ;-) to 8.1.7 on Linux, and all the problems I had were somehow JDK-related. If Oracle managed to write an installer which didn't work only with one version of the JRE, or include the JRE on the installation disk (I think they do that now), that would make the whole thing a lot easier.

(Of course the "libc of the week" craze of Linux doesn't make things easier for Oracle, either)

>> On the other hand, with Unix you basically have to COMPILE AND LINK
>> the whole dang package. I think this is acient, archiac technology
>> that's just got to go. For some reason, we've never been able to get
>> around these methods (other than some binary rpms etc).

> Linking, while painful, is one reason for stability and performance is
> better on *nix.

I'll show my ignorance here:

How would that be? AFAIK (from helping our DBA finding bugs in Oracle's Makefile etc.) a bunch of oracle-supplied object files are linked with the system libraries. Since the object files are always the same and most Unixes have shared libraries these days, the end result should also be always the same.

The main advantage of linking seems to be that a patch only needs to replace the affected object files and not the whole binary.

Apart from that, linking seems to me to be mostly a leftover from the days when Unix had only static libaries.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | zu Fortran.