Re: Oracle screws up Sun host

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:56:23 GMT

you should be able to connect internal and shutdown abort.. extremely rarely do we have to reboot a server (almost never, i don't recall such thing happenning for a long time). And the only thing that we kill off are some dead connections (e.g. ps -ef|grep LOCAL|grep <SID>), I don't recall seeing ora background processes sitting around. Also, you should be able to kill runaway processes via alter session or OS, I never saw oracle background processes to be 'runaway'.

It's probably best that you resolve those ORA-0600's with oracle support.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:20:59 +0200, Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote:

>We are running two Oracle DB (both 8.1.7) on the same host (Sun
>E3500/Solaris 7). The first is small and stable and is never changed
>in its structure (it is a commercial product) - it should run 24x7.
>The second one is "big" (60 GB Data + Indexes), is being changed
>almost constantly and runs PL/SQL jobs lasting many hours (Data Mining
>operations). This second DB produces about 3 ORA-00600 errors a week
>and at times, it MUST be shut down (because of runaway processes, for
>example). Normally, shutting down the "big" DB (the instance) is
>tolerable.
>
>But if it must be shut down due to a problem, if often can't be. Using
>"shutdown immediate" goes as far as closing the DB, but then, the
>process of shutting down the DB hangs. If after a while I interrupt
>the process with Control-C, I get the SQL prompt but I am out of
>business (disconnected). Nothing more can be done with the DB, since I
>can't even connect ("instance is down"). Then I notice that there are
>still one or more Oracle background processes running, which I have to
>kill at the OS command line. Then I am still unable to connect. As a
>last effort, I remove the file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/lk<SID-NAME>, which
>does not help either. Somehow the host is crewed up at this point, and
>the only chance I have to get things fixed is to restart the whole
>host.
>
>This is a shame since this is not windows and there should be a way of
>cleaning up things without having to restart the host. Restarting the
>host is not tolerable (it runs the 1st 24x7 DB and an Intranet Server,
>and it is a NIS Master).
>
>So your advice will be to separate the DBs. We are actually planing
>exactly that, the new server hardware is being ordered. But my
>question still remains, how to let the other instances untouched when
>one of them goes nuts. >>The new server will hold several instances<<
>Hm.
>
>Any clue?
>
>Rick Denoire

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 14:56:23 CDT