Re: How to set the WHOLE Database in backup mode

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:41:41 +0200

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> schreef in berichtnieuws frg8avcq7pigvia1qt6jpni7mcm9skvnff_at_4ax.com...
| Well we know the command "alter tablespace <tralala> begin backup",
| but if there are a dozen of tablespaces, and one has to make a hot
| Snapshot of the DB files, then I wonder if having to use this command
| a dozen of times (for each tablespace separately) will garantee that
| all tablespaces are in sync when the last of them is set in backup
| mode.
|
| So is there any other command to set the DB as a whole in the backup
| mode?
|
| Thanks
| Rick Denoire

There is no command to set the db as a whole in backup mode. There is no need for it. There is no issue of "having all tablespaces in sync". Just set all tablespaces in backup mode, then start the copy of the files, when that's done end backup mode of all tablespaces and swith the logfile as usual.
Remember the drawback of this. More redolog will be generated when in backup mode. Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 14:41:41 CDT