Re: PL/SQL Execute Immediate

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 20 Apr 2003 23:28:13 -0500

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, damorgan_at_exesolutions.com wrote:

>> <snipped>
>>

>> Yeah, thats right Daniel.  I know, we developers and designers don't
>> design and consider and test and retest the code produced from those
>> mini projects to build code that builds those things.  We just build
>> those things and deploy them to production the next day.  Yep.
>> That's why we are still employed.  We produce lots of work, no matter
>> what the quality.

> Perhaps you do. But I would gladly take you from Oracle install to
> Oracle install and show you gross and substantial evidence that no
> everyone that is employed takes even 10% of the level of care you
> defend.

So? What does this have to do with taking someone's question and just assuming that the answer is destined for a production environment directly after reciept of the answer?

Its like you are the only one on this group who has run across poorly architected/written code. We all have. But, most just continue to assume the best of those that show up here until they prove otherwise.

> Lets run an unscientific poll here and see what the results are:
>
> How many people here, that are developers not DBAs, have run EXPLAIN
> PLAN on a SQL statement written in a function, procedure, package, or
> trigger in the last 30 days? How about TKPROF? How about DBMS_PROFILER
> on an entire application or application module?

I would guess that 95% of the people _reading_ this newsgroup can answer in the affirmative. Its the guys who post once and leave, that need to answer your poll. Those are the same guys whom you run across in those "Oracle to Oracle installs" you refer to.

My question to you is, how many of the people involved in all those poorly written/architected database systems were newsgroup junkies? I would bet narry a one. Anybody who cares enough to read an Oracle newsgroup is usually genuinely interested in Oracle and therefore will be pretty good at it, cause, well, it ain't all that hard. Just takes lots of reading and playing.

--
Galen deForest Boyer