Re: IBM Debunks Oracle's MultiVersion Read Consistency ?

From: Dave Hau <davehau-no-spam-123_at_no-spam.netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:14:20 -0700

> threads. Most databases can detect 2-way deadlocks but in the (rare but
> existing) case of 3 or more way deadlocks, your thread will be sitting
there
> until timeout (i.e. if timeout is implemented in the app).

I just want to add that the thread will be sitting there idle until timeout, _holding all the locks it has acquired so far in the transaction_. Furthermore, the locks will need to be held for an extra period of time even after timeout as the transaction rolls back. If it's a long transaction, the rollback itself can take a while.

Cheers,
Dave Received on Sun Apr 20 2003 - 16:14:20 CDT