Re: IBM Debunks Oracle's MultiVersion Read Consistency ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:21:29 -0700

Robert Allen wrote:

> http://www-
> 3.ibm.com/software/data/pubs/papers/readconsistency/readconsistency.pdf
>
> They raise some good points. Is it really as efficient as IBM suggests?
> What are the advantages that MVRC provide?

The IBM document is well crafted marketing hyperbole.

Here are two examples just from the opening paragraphs:

"No other database vendor has implemented Oracle's Multi Version Read Consistency ...."

Well of course not it is Oracle's. Duh! But other vendors have duplicated MVRC in their RDBMS products.

"... nor has it proven to be a performance advantage ...."

The point of MVRC is not performance ... it is data integrity.

Try running a flashback query in DB2. Can't be done. Every feature has a price. There is more to an RDBMS than raw horsepower.

I'll take Oracle's write once run anywhere over DB2's write different code for every operating system and platform model without any database security any time.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Apr 20 2003 - 13:21:29 CDT