Re: How do you remove an Oracle service?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2003 07:48:21 -0700

Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E9FD558.3000509_at_netscape.net>...
> > In defense of Howard's statement I would say this... "You can hack
> > registry but completely do it at your own risk". If you want to simply
> > edit a certain value in the registry and are comfortable with manually
> > editing it... then by all means go ahead. e.g. changing the
> > ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART flag in the registry to TRUE or FALSE.
> >
> > HOWEVER, services are completely managed by SCM (Service Control
> > Manager). You can use SCM to install, remove, start, stop, pause etc a
> > service. Some services also have interdependency with other services.
>
> A rarely used option, though. Much to my dislike. Why not start the
> underlying instance when portals HTTP server is started?

A rarely used option? What do you mean by that. SCM manages all services on your system.

> > Just by hacking registry (as you mentioned) to remove a service is
> > definitely asking for trouble. Windows API advapi32.dll has functions
> > to interact with services in SCM... In particular DeleteService()
>
> So, you suggest I write a program? That should be part of the bundle!
> And it should be documented, too.

You don't "write" a program every time you want to do something. There are already written tools out there that can be used. Heard of NT resource kit?

> > function is used to mark a service for deletion from the SCM database.
> > There are NT resource kit tools like srvinstw.exe which use this
> > Windows API and can be safely used to remove a service. Going by your
>
> I have to buy extra options from the competition, then?

Most of the NT resource kit tools can be freely downloaded from many sites.

> > logic, why use oradim to even install an Oracle SID service, why not
> > just regedit and create a new key in
> > HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services?
>
> Because it's more efficient to use oradim. ;-)

It's not a matter of efiiciency... you HAVE to use oradim (or some tool) that can talk to Windows API to install service in SCM.

> > I am sorry but from your post it seems like either you are not
> > familiar with Windows registry or not familiar with Windows services
> > and SCM. In either case, I will definitely recommend that you use a
> > proper tool to remove a service rather then trying to fit a circle in
> > a square.
>
> What's wrong with regedt32 as tool?
> And I'm trying to fit a circle in a square - I'm pulling a plug.
> Removing a service, that is left behind due to badly written
> installers, is something quite different that suggesting to
> manually create services, as you do.

There is nothing wrong with regedt32 but you don't use ONLY ONE tool to do ALL your jobs... this concept is covered in Computers 101... Look it up -:)

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Apr 18 2003 - 09:48:21 CDT