Re: How do you remove an Oracle service?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:37:12 +0200

Rauf Sarwar wrote:
> Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E9EF527.3050300_at_netscape.net>...

>>>Uh huh. You recommend hacking around the registry if you want to. I'd rather
>>>not. Most Windows users would rather not, too.
>>>

>>Why not? If there's alternative (oradim will not work, as this is the
>>agent, not the instance) in the form of a program to do it in a
>>controlled way, the best alternative is to edit it yourself.
>>After all, the registry is nothing more than some kind of ini-file.
>>
>>And I would not consider that hacking around - at least you do it
>>yourself, and (I assume) you know exactly what you are doing.
>>If you would feel more comfortable by renaming it, rename it.
>>Sure to delete - delete! It's up to you. You are in control, not
>>the PC.
>>
>>Besides, you do change your .login (or .csh, or ...) file, do
>>you? You do type 'set oracle_sid=orcl' or 'export ORACLE_SID=orcl',
>>don't you? Similar exercise, in my book.
>>
>>The registry is no holy place, and there are two tools to edit it.
>>Learn to use them, learn the registry.

> In defense of Howard's statement I would say this... "You can hack
> registry but completely do it at your own risk". If you want to simply
> edit a certain value in the registry and are comfortable with manually
> editing it... then by all means go ahead. e.g. changing the
> ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART flag in the registry to TRUE or FALSE.
>
> HOWEVER, services are completely managed by SCM (Service Control
> Manager). You can use SCM to install, remove, start, stop, pause etc a
> service. Some services also have interdependency with other services.

A rarely used option, though. Much to my dislike. Why not start the underlying instance when portals HTTP server is started?

> Just by hacking registry (as you mentioned) to remove a service is
> definitely asking for trouble. Windows API advapi32.dll has functions
> to interact with services in SCM... In particular DeleteService()

So, you suggest I write a program? That should be part of the bundle! And it should be documented, too.

> function is used to mark a service for deletion from the SCM database.
> There are NT resource kit tools like srvinstw.exe which use this
> Windows API and can be safely used to remove a service. Going by your

I have to buy extra options from the competition, then?

> logic, why use oradim to even install an Oracle SID service, why not
> just regedit and create a new key in
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services?

Because it's more efficient to use oradim. ;-)

> I am sorry but from your post it seems like either you are not
> familiar with Windows registry or not familiar with Windows services
> and SCM. In either case, I will definitely recommend that you use a
> proper tool to remove a service rather then trying to fit a circle in
> a square.

What's wrong with regedt32 as tool?
And I'm trying to fit a circle in a square - I'm pulling a plug. Removing a service, that is left behind due to badly written installers, is something quite different that suggesting to manually create services, as you do.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel