Re: easiest way to backup&recover Oracle?

From: Chris <cgshort_at_aol.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 10:44:55 -0700

canuck_tech_at_yahoo.com (Grant) wrote in message news:<5868625b.0304151518.120cecad_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the easiest & best way is to backup and recover
> our new Oracle 9i database? I've taken a look at the oracle recovery
> manager documentation but it looks like I'd have to code a lot of
> scripts. Our company had a Veritas rep by and their product doesn't
> look like it removes any of the scripting requirements, plus I'll have
> to install a bunch of third party drivers, and I'll be relying on
> tape.. yuck, I have bad memories of tape from my sysadmin days.
> Although, I guess I don't have an alternative for our disaster
> recovery needs...sigh. Are there any better solutions that people
> like?
>
> thanks,

Hello!

At the risk of being egregiously self-serving, take a look at what Database Appliances is doing: www.databaseappliances.com (Full disclosure: I work for these guys).

We have a product that should make your life a *LOT* easier! It performs backup & recovery directly to/from disk. No need for tapes in day-to-day unless you want to use them. The scripts are included and use RMAN so it will meet your requirements for 9i. Also, you can schedule block backups as frequently as you'd like – like every 15 minutes. We use iSCSI to connect to a duplicate offsite box for automatic failover.

Anyway, take a look for yourself. When I saw your post I just couldn't keep quiet. Our product meets all of your requirements and probably is a lot less expensive than Vertias' software alone – not to mention the hardware!

Good Luck!
Chris Received on Thu Apr 17 2003 - 12:44:55 CDT