Re: Compare logical standby database with Advanced Replication

From: Phillip <tienp_at_wholefoods.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:14:07 -0500

as someone who's implemented both, I would suggest standby database for your high availability option as opposed to replication. Let's just say that even the Oracle instructors in the replication class were saying that replication requires lots of hand holding. Or let me rephrase what my instructor said: "if you're going to do replication, you need a full time DBA dedicated to replication and nothing else." After playing with it myself, I would have to agree.

Standby on the other hand is immensely easier and requires very little, if any, hand holding. Once you get it set up, it virtually maintains itself (provided you don't add lots and lots of datafiles on the primary site on a regular basis). Anyway, yeah, go with standby as there are lots of documentation on metalink supporting this concept.

--
Phillip

Meetings:  None of us is as dumb as all of us.