Re: What is the difference between oradim and startup?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:07:56 +0200

Norman Dunbar wrote:
[...]
> Confused - not half !!

You've got me there, if I perform the very same steps, no listener shutdown.

I was thinking along the lines that maybe because you've got the services manually started, you might have a 'local_listener' entry in your init.ora, and that this might lead to a start/stop the listener when starting/shutting down the instance. Actually my tests showed nothing in this direction...

Don't know if it will help to know your listener.ora, init.ora and registry settings, so I don't request them ;-)

Someone else might be interested, but I'll let them ask...

> So, it looke like Oracle *is* shutting down correctly, but Windows is
> not showing the true picture in the Services applet.

Not exactly, it was nicely explained today or yesterday on this NG, that the service itself is the process started by Oracle.exe, (which btw is what sqlplus is talking to in the first place) whereas the instance is a thread within this process. So starting or shutting down will instantiate or terminate the thread(s) that make up the instance, but the service (=process) will stay.

> PS. I don't have the room to build another database on this PC, so I'm
> unable to test whether the listener is really closed or not ....

... which of course could be easily tested with tnsping, lsnrctl ;-)

But if the service is no longer listed as started in the services applet you can be quite sure that it's no longer there (taskmanager comes to mind). It's one of the few things windows does rather well :-)

Cheers,

Holger Received on Thu Apr 17 2003 - 06:07:56 CDT