Install error - invalid /etc/hosts file

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:15:47 +0100

Morning George,

I had a similar problem installing 9i Release 2 EE on Mandrake 9.0 recently. The installer barfed with a few errors about not being able to contact the host.

My box is set up as ganymede.bountifulsolutions.co.uk but the /etc/hosts file only had :

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

I changed it to :

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain ganymede ganymede.bountifulsolutions.co.uk

and the install proceeded correctly. I think the problem was related to the database name I used, I called it 'TITAN.bountifulsolutions.co.uk' which gave me a SID of TITAN.

Might help - hopefully !

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar