What is the difference between oradim and startup?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:28:40 +0100

Morning.

Interestingly enough, I discovered yesterday that connecting to SQLPlus and typing 'shutdown' on my Win2k system running 9i release 2 EE, only shuts down the listener service. Startup then starts the listener service. The database service thingy itself has to be manually shutdown and started either through services or through oradim. (I have no setting for AUTOSTART by the way)

On Unix, the listener stays up, and the database and instance come down.

Big difference !

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar