Re: Anyone recommend a good Unix Scripting book?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2003 16:59:49 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0304152207.7ff315f7_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:<dy1na.112822$yh1.6497289_at_news1.east.cox.net>...
> > Im going to do alot of Korn Shell scripting on my new project and Im pretty
> > weak at it. Its all related to Oracle work. Any recommendations on a good
> > unix scripting book with lots of examples. We have the general O'Reilly
> > stuff and I know the basics.
>

> O'Reilly has a Korn Shell specific book. It's the best I've ever
> seen if you want to get into the details and what it can do.
>

> Not specific to Oracle, but since most Oracle stuff can be done
> from a command line in Unix or Linux, I'd use it from that point of
> view.
>

> > I just find it easier if I can see examples of
> > how to do this and how to do that kind of thing. Lots of code I can
> > canabalize.
>

> Don't. Learn how to do it, not how to copy it.
> You'll thank yourself in the long run, many times over.

While I agree with the sentiment (certainly one must learn the basics), I must add that Unix Power Tools is like a FAQ for scripting.  I've lifted a lot from it. Since it's basically an edited usenet compendium, it's like the equivalent of grabbing cdo scripts off google, with a decent index - rather than reinventing wheels. It's also interesting to just randomly peruse.

Think of it as another way to learn.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.