Re: Anyone recommend a good Unix Scripting book?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:01:01 GMT

"Howard Rogers" <aldeburgh_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:FT1na.15280$1s1.240027_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > BTW, I checked Amazon and Oracle9i UNIX Administration Handbook
> > by Donald K. Burleson, Don Burleson
> >
> > got horrible reviews. Anyone read it?
>
> Don't get me started!
>
> Oh, alright then
>
> ;-)
>
> Don Burleson posted a script on this very newsgroup just recently, which
(he
> says) he 'uses' to find full scan operations. Provided you don't have
IOTs,
> partitioned tables or clusters, it sorta kinda works. Misses out indexes,
> though, as well. You know, just minor things like that.
>
> That's the sort of attention to detail you can expect.
>
> What's even more amusing is that if you point out his technical
> deficiencies, he threatens to sue for libel (however, truth is an absolute
> defence in some jurisdictions, so I should be OK).
>
> But with that in mind, I unhesitatingly recommend it. It's an absolutely
> brilliant book: the paper is nice and soft, and flushes perfectly nicely
> without clogging things up too much.
>
> As for your actual request... I'm afraid I'm just a tired old batch file
> writer, and would know one end of a shell script from a conch. But there
are
> plenty of others here who will help you there... I just wanted to steer
you
> clear of one or two things!
>
> Best of luck,
> HJR

I better not publish anything that anybody reads(I have published stuff but luckily noone has read it) or Howard will rip me all over the boards.

Kidding... I do respect Howards opinion though. I shoudn't say anything, got a nasty email from a well known author for ripping him here... Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 17:01:01 CDT