Re: Anyone recommend a good Unix Scripting book?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:59:11 GMT

"John" <garmanyj_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b9adce6.0304160646.836510e_at_posting.google.com...
> Ryan,
> I agree with Nuno. If you want to learn Korn Shell scripting you
> need "Learning the Korn Shell" from O'Reilly. It is detailed and
> complete.
>
> It you want to see Korn Shells used with Oracle the "Oracle9i UNIX
> Administration Handbook" by Oracle Press is excellent. Every Oracle
> DBA I have meet has given it great reviews. If you read the bad
> reviews on Amazon you find that they are from folks that want UNIX
> Admin...not Oracle9i Unix Admin.
>
> You can ignore Howard. He has a bur in his @#$ and is trashing Don
> Burleson all over this group. As you can see he provided you with no
> useful information which seems to be his norm.

we have the Korn Shell book and Ive read about 2/3s of it. Im not a total newbie to Unix. Syntax is syntax is syntax. No big deal there and I can ask someone. What speeds up the learning curve are design pattern stuff.

ie A piped to B does C examples, its not always obvious at first. Or here are some generic scripts that do XYZ. I have alot of work to do and need a fast forward. Unix isn't all Im gonna do. Thanks though.

Anyone know any good websites with lots of scripting examples? Yes I can search google, but Id rather not hunt through 30 of them to find one I like. Any that you like? Since this isnt a Unix first spot, Id think that many of you find it easier to canabalize Unix code. Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 16:59:11 CDT