Re: describing instance

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:13:01 -0500

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:05:58 +0200, "Boris Findrik" <risbo61REMOVE_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to make document system which will finaly describe our
>complex environment and stop the chaos :)
>(SID, version, init param, ....)
>
>Have anyone some examples ?
>Software solution? (except excell :)
>
>Regards,
>Boris

I am always a bit distrustful of this kind of document. The more detailed and comprehensive it is, the more likely it is to be wrong. They tend to get outdated about as soon as the ink is dry.

That said, I do keep some docs with some of this kind of info, but keep it minimal, with just enough info to point me to the true source. For instance, why would I want to "document" the init parms, when they are absolutely correctly documented in the init.ora file? Why would I want to document the version when all I have to do is log on to an instance and query that info? My TNSNAMES.ORA file provides documentation on what databases I have and what servers they are hosted on.

That being said, I *do* keep a couple of 'quick reference' docs. One lists all of my servers, their IP addresses, key OS userids and passwords, and the databases hosted on each. Another lists all the databases, what server they are on, and key Orcle userids and passwords. I keep these docs on ---- Excel.

I don't think you're going to find anything that automates this. How would some tool maker know what information you want to document, especially given the multiple platforms you may or may not have Oracle running on?

 Whether you keep it in a spreadsheet, a word processing doc, or a database is really somewhat irrelevant. (I am curious why you say 'not Excell') This is really something you design to fit your needs and temperment. Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 13:13:01 CDT