Re: Not meant to be flame bait, but...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:39:14 GMT

Jared wrote:

> I'm confused. I thought an X server ran on the machine accessing the
> app (i.e., X server/client works the opposite of the classical

Common confusion ... just like any server, the X-server is the unit that does the work. However, in this case, the work is actually the display of information. So an X-Server can be a really fancy 'terminal'.

I realize this initially seems counter-intuitive. In some ways, an X-server could be equated to the graphics card in a modern workstation - the computer (client) makes a request to draw a line, and the card/X-server (server) decides the best way for the specific hardware consition.

So a database server can be run headless, as long as the libraries exist to properly ask for something to be displayed. And if you want that something to actually be displayed, you 'intercept' the display requests on any available X-server (by setting the Display variable).

> definition of server/client). Are you saying that the 6i Forms server
> is acting as its own client to put a Forms app out via 9iAS?

My (overly simplistic) interpretation is: Forms6i server decides it needs a widget at coordinates (x,y) and it asks the 9iAs to tell the user's-display machine to do exactly that. However, in this case the Browser - dare I say JInitiator runing in the Browser - will be the display server.

So I see this as a classic n-tier situation ... "Forms6i server" is a server of the application, but a client of the display technology. Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 10:39:14 CDT