Re: Recommended hardware for 9i on Linux, at home

From: Howard Rogers <aldeburgh_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:00:11 +1000

"Norman Dunbar" <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA7038F8E11_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk...
> Morning,
>
> Mandrake 9.0 works fine with 9i release 2 Enterprise - whether you piss
> on it or not :o)
>
> I have 640 Mb RAM, P2 400 Mhz processor, MDK 9.0 running KDE 3 and
> Oracle flies. Mind you I only have one 60 Gb disc and one Instance
> running. It truly is much much much quicker than the 'Non-French' Win2k
> OS that most people use on the same machine (dual boot).
>
> So, go for Linux, and if you need support, you need to go for an Oracle
> authorised/approved version of Linux - probably Red Hat Advanced Server.
> If you are just lerning then RH8, SUSE and MDK 9.0 all work fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Norm.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

What's with the anti-French stuff (which I realise wasn't introduced by Norman, but he's merely responding to it as introduced elsewhere)?

I mean, I know they eat snails and things, and got trounced at Agincourt *and* Waterloo. But they make a nice baguette.

But what I really don't understand is the recommendation (by the original bigoted poster, not Norman) to use SuSe instead. SuSe is a German company, and if we're currently supposed to hate the French for not going gung-ho in Baghdad, you surely have to hate the Germans for doing likewise? Not to mention the Russians, of course (*is* there a Russian Linux distro, I wonder??).

Come on: a bit of consistency, please. If we're going to ignore technical merits in favour of the political bigotry de jour, let's do it properly. I vote we all switch to running Oracle on the Sinclair Spectrum. British (Go, Baghdad!), man with a beard (Go, Jonathan!), complete looney (witness the C2, so Go, Burleson!!) and totally useless (Go, Microsoft!!). Not French (Boo!). Not German (Hiss!). And nor Russian (Yaboo sucks).

Me? I think I'll get the technically OK solution that appeals, regardless of where it comes from.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 05:00:11 CDT