Recommended hardware for 9i on Linux, at home

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:30:43 +0100

Morning,

Mandrake 9.0 works fine with 9i release 2 Enterprise - whether you piss on it or not :o)

I have 640 Mb RAM, P2 400 Mhz processor, MDK 9.0 running KDE 3 and Oracle flies. Mind you I only have one 60 Gb disc and one Instance running. It truly is much much much quicker than the 'Non-French' Win2k OS that most people use on the same machine (dual boot).

So, go for Linux, and if you need support, you need to go for an Oracle authorised/approved version of Linux - probably Red Hat Advanced Server. If you are just lerning then RH8, SUSE and MDK 9.0 all work fine.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator