Re: easiest way to backup&recover Oracle?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:18:24 +0100

"Grant" <canuck_tech_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5868625b.0304151518.120cecad_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the easiest & best way is to backup and recover
> our new Oracle 9i database? I've taken a look at the oracle recovery
> manager documentation but it looks like I'd have to code a lot of
> scripts. Our company had a Veritas rep by and their product doesn't
> look like it removes any of the scripting requirements, plus I'll have
> to install a bunch of third party drivers, and I'll be relying on
> tape.. yuck, I have bad memories of tape from my sysadmin days.
> Although, I guess I don't have an alternative for our disaster
> recovery needs...sigh. Are there any better solutions that people
> like?

The old fashioned way

alter tablespace blah begin backup;
host cp datafiles to backup dest
alter tablespace blah end backup;

still works fine in 9i. I personally would like the current backup to always be on disk before it goes to tape, but I guess if your DB is 4TB that may not be a viable option :(

Note I'm not trying to dismiss RMAN, its a lot more flexible. but more of a pain to setup.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA