java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:04:17 +0100

Evening Nuno,

>> "leveraged" is indeed the word.

Indeed, and a bloody awful word at that. Usually mis-pronounced as well and guaranteed to get the hackles rising. My Managing [Mis-]Director does it all the time :o)

>> A VM in mainframe parlance is a complete
>> box with virtual disks, even its own virtual file system AND
Operating
>> System.

Yep, that's where I hail from - ICL 1900 mainframes running DME/George 2+ followed by ICL2966/3945/3935 runing VME, VME(X) and Open VME. Them were the days !

>> Now, is a JVM "just an interpreter"? I don't think so.
<SNIP>
A JVM program MUST have the JVM started BEFORE it can execute. You can't
start ANOTHER program in that same JVM address space unless the first program does that for you.
<SNIP>
>> There is the difference. In order to provide the "sandbox" concept,
>> the JVM has to isolate the program from whatever OS it's running
>> in. "Just an interpreter" does NOT have to do that. Clear?

As clear as it gets - thanks. I'm not a Java developer, nor do I have any interest in the language so although I had heard of the 'sandbox' stuff, I never quite got into it in depth. Thanks.

Now then, if the JVM isolates everything from the OS, then how come Oracle Support here in the UK are able to get me to run a Java app which allows them to see my desktop and watch my TARs doing what they do best - falling over ?

>> The same thing? No way, Josay!

I sit corrected.

Regards,
Norm.