Re: Anyone recommend a good Unix Scripting book?

From: Howard Rogers <aldeburgh_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:08:38 +1000

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:dy1na.112822$yh1.6497289_at_news1.east.cox.net... [snip]
> BTW, I checked Amazon and Oracle9i UNIX Administration Handbook
> by Donald K. Burleson, Don Burleson
>
> got horrible reviews. Anyone read it?

Don't get me started!

Oh, alright then

;-)

Don Burleson posted a script on this very newsgroup just recently, which (he says) he 'uses' to find full scan operations. Provided you don't have IOTs, partitioned tables or clusters, it sorta kinda works. Misses out indexes, though, as well. You know, just minor things like that.

That's the sort of attention to detail you can expect.

What's even more amusing is that if you point out his technical deficiencies, he threatens to sue for libel (however, truth is an absolute defence in some jurisdictions, so I should be OK).

But with that in mind, I unhesitatingly recommend it. It's an absolutely brilliant book: the paper is nice and soft, and flushes perfectly nicely without clogging things up too much.

As for your actual request... I'm afraid I'm just a tired old batch file writer, and would know one end of a shell script from a conch. But there are plenty of others here who will help you there... I just wanted to steer you clear of one or two things!

Best of luck,
HJR Received on Tue Apr 15 2003 - 20:08:38 CDT