Re: Recommended hardware for 9i on Linux, at home

From: buckwheat <buckwheat_phd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 18:04:21 -0700

dba_222_at_yahoo.com (Roger Redford) wrote in message news:<a8c29269.0304051812.5ed59313_at_posting.google.com>...

Roger -

"Conner" (see post above) is right - don't go break the bank on name brand hardware. I've installed Ora on some of the cheesiest machines on this side of the Mississippi. Basically, you'll know it right off the bat if it's gonna screw up. That RAC stuff is pretty cool too, once you get it all straight.

I would imagine your Linux port would make a difference. Most of them nowadays are remarkably sound. Now Mandrake is a different story, since they're a French outfit I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. So with Mandrake left out of the lineup, you'd be doing well with good ole' Redhat, SuSe or Debian. I think SuSe and RedHat(AS) are the only certified distros from Oracle. I have great luck with RedHat's Application Server version.

Something that I'm reminded of continuously is - it's not the quality of the sticker on the workstation. It's all about HOW MUCH MEMORY is in that sucker. Ora LOVES memory, and there's no better platform to make good use of it than Linux or BSD. I've got 2 Sun Ultra's in here, and a GB of RAM is about $1800 or so. A GB of RAM for Intel is about $83.00 - don't you love it?

I've got one 800mhz Celeron down there with 4gb or RAM (the motherboard's max), and it's the fastest Ora machine in the house. Just runs and runs and runs. Big badass fiber array on it too.

Now, Dell will sell you a whopper of a computer for $5k if you like it that way. I know some jackass "Systems Administrator" on the other side of town that couldn't find his ass with both hands. So what he does is throw hardware at ANY problem that pops up. You know, it's cool. It's in ALL the magazines. Jezz, what a pissant this guy is. He could no more tune a Win2K box if his life depended on it. But since his superiors are as much a bunch of dumasses as HE is, they'll easily throw $50k at Dell every month or so thinking they've got it all handled. I mean, 800 # and all - what more could you want?

Buckwheat