Re: Why can't SYS account grant privileges for other user's objects?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:30:07 +0200

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:06:36 -0400, "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote:

>I thought "sys as sysdba" was the all-powerful user?

No it isn't. According to the ANSI SQL standard, only the owner of the schema has the privilege to administer grants for his own objects, but can delegate the authority (grant with admin). That is exactly what happened with all the precreated objects.

Your point is moot though.
First of all Oracle removed the restriction in 9i, and as you should upgrade in the near future anyway, I would try to live with the 8i functionality.
It is also moot because you can easily create a one-line function in the affected schema;
do_sql(sqlstr in varchar2) is
begin
execute immediate sqlstr;
end;

e presto!
Just call it with <remoteuser>.do_sql('grant select....')

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Apr 15 2003 - 12:30:07 CDT