Re: After installation

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:37:48 GMT

leandro.l.s_at_uol.com.br said...
> Hello,
>
> After i have installed Oracle in Windows 2K Server, i tried to execute
> SQLPlus using:
>
> User: system
> Password: manager
> String HOST: "" (em branco)
>
> I tried to execute in the same server where i have installed the Oracle.
> This is the message i got:
>
> ORA-12560 - adapter de protocol error
>
> Leandro L S
> Vitória / ES / Brazil

I assume you're using the GUI version of sqlplus. Since you did not supply a host string, sqlplus will look in the registry. You need to check the following:

  1. There is a file in your %ORACLE_HOME%/bin directory called oracle.key. It has only one line -- the registry path to the current oracle home. For example, it might contain Software\Oracle\Home0.
  2. Edit the registry (Start / Run / regedit) and open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE node and locate the Home given in the oracle.key file.
  3. Make sure the value of the ORACLE_SID registry key is correct.

You should also be able to find an entry off your Start / Programs / Oracle menu that is something like "Oracle Home Selector" that allows you to change the %oracle_home% environment variable.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA