Maybe stupid question about exp/imp

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:41:43 +0100

Jan,

it *used* to be said that importing into a single extent would increase performance, and certain tests *seemed* to show that this was the case. However, this is probably the number one Oracle Mythe of all times.

There may have been a performance benefit, however small, after the import but this is likely to be due to migrated or chained rows being relocated in their 'home' block and not spread all over the countryside.

It has been proved time and again that this is not a 'performance enhancer', but I still have a customer's dba who insists on reorganising his databases every weekend to get all the data into one single extent.

Basically, the answer is no, importing will not produce much in the way of performance benefits.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator