Re: An Oracle Auto Generated Id Issue

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:37:53 +0100

"Gabriel Gonzalez" <none_at_none.com> wrote in message news:ilrl9v8k0q6c7c6ekfbvseveld1dq6uh3g_at_4ax.com...
> It does not make sense that you have it running in SQL Plus and then
> it does not work from VB.... It should either fail entirely and work
> entirely.

Actually it does. Many third party components (data grids and the like) will query the database for information about key columns,constraints etc. If the component decides that a column is required (either not null or part of a primary key) it will trap the error of not passing a value in the client side code. I would either pass a spurious value or not select the column in my datasource. It may also be that the component allows you not to read/enforce constraints at the client side which would be another option. Isn't software that thinks for you wonderful :(

Cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA