Re: Not meant to be flame bait, but...

From: JustAnotherDBA <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:00:51 -0500

Linux for the OS ! This one is easy :)

Also, run Linux without any X server too. But, to do this you will need version 9.0.3 (or newer?) of 9iAS and then you have to upgrade the Java (there are instructions in the install for running OEM(which is required) without an X server to display to). Actually, the 9.0.3 version was not available (3 months ago) on Solaris for running the heavier pieces like Portal and Business Intelligence.

But with the memory limitations you give, I suspect running BOTH 9i DB and 9iAS will be almost impossible (or slowww). The database might be ok, but not 9iAS . Then again, it might depend on what options you install for 9iAS . The liter version (just Web Cache and J2EE) might be ok. But, if you install Portal, Business Intelligence (Forms and Report Server), I can't imagine it working very well or at all.

Maybe the Oracle install on Linux is more forgiving, but on Solaris, it would not even proceed if TMP wasn't 1G, /etc/hosts had to have a fully qualified hostname, and memory was checked too I think (or it was recommended to be at least 1 Gig+ for running both 9iAS and 9iDB) .

Actually, the install of 9iAS highly recommends running the 9iDB and 9iAS on different machines . AND, if you install Portal or "Business Intelligence", they will require the 9iDB have OiD installed (another "hog").

Oh yeah, be prepared to make your System tablespace extremely large for Portal (PlSql?).

I had many problems trying to run both 9iDB and 9iAS on the same (much beefier) Solaris system.

Ended up giving up on the Portal and Business Intelligence (not really needed in our company). Also, have a dedicated Solaris machine for running the 9iAS.

Going to try and upgrade our 8174 DBs to 9.2.0.3 later this year.

Good luck!