Re: Export database from 8.1.7 to 8.0.6

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 18:39:22 -0700

Gabriel Gonzalez <none_at_none.com> wrote in message news:<nbll9v0p4argedilo083jpe6ilomiqrujg_at_4ax.com>...
> What you are trying to do is wrong. You cannot run exp/imp against a
> different version of the database, unless you recreate the export
> helper objects in the database.
>
> In other words you have to run the 806 version of catexp.sql against
> your 817 version of the database. That is fair enough, but be aware
> that if you do this, then your 817 version of exp/imp will fail to
> work until you run the 817 version of catexp.sql againt the database.
>
> So make things easier for yourself and run the 817 version of exp/imp
> vs the 817 version fo the database. On the other side, run the 806
> version of the emp/imp against the 806 database. If the versions
> match, then you are almost there.
>
> I do not think it should be a problem exporting on 817 and importing
> into 806 (it sounds as though that is what you want to do). I have
> done those "downgrade" exports successfully before.

As long as you are not using any post 806 features...

You might consider looking on metalink.oracle.com for scripts that do such things. http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNOT?p_id=131704.1 might work.

> >I need to export 3 schemas. I use the 8.0.6 exp80 utility and connect to
> >the production 8.1.7 and export the 3 users (I start exp80 without any
> >options so it prompts me for its parameters like filename which users
> >etc). Then I try to use the 8.0.6 imp80 to import it to the test env
> >running 8.0.6. The 3 users do exists. Tablespaces with same names also.
> >Actually there is an older version of the application with all its
> >tables and data on it. When I use the imp it get tonns of errors. I
> >tried to drop a schema and recreate it before running imp so I only have
> >the new data. I get tables and other data, but some/all triggers,
> >sequences are missing. Why is that? Is my procedure wrong?
> >
> >I use the user sys to connect with the exp / imp utils.

Try system.

> >Error msg mostly that a grant has failed becaus the table does not
> >exists. Arent the create tables executed before the grants?

Yes, but there might be some error if you are using a different schemaname.

> >And are roles also exported / imported? Or how should I do this task?
> >
> >thanks for any hints.

If you are using unix tools, you can sometimes get interesting results by using the strings command and grepping for CREATE on the export file. Don't try to edit export files, though.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/business/news_mz1b14wireta.html