Re: Not meant to be flame bait, but...

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 18:28:51 -0700

jared_at_hwai.com (Jared) wrote in message news:<480f610.0304140618.7f52cfc7_at_posting.google.com>...

> twin 533-MHz Celeron single 900MHz Athlon (T-bird)
> 768MB 1 GB memory
>
> Which would make a better Oracle server? Should it run Win2K or
> Linux?

Hmmmm, my choice would be the Athlon. Most user-level PC motherboards can't handle multiprocessing that well and a 533 Celeron is a slow beast. Having said that, I've heard of some incompatibilities between Linux and Athlons. Dunno which version, though. I'd expect it to be fixed now, but worth a check in the usual NGs.

I'd go with Linux, if this is not to be used as a home office system as well. No question it is more stable than W2K.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Apr 14 2003 - 20:28:51 CDT