Re: Recover question: ALTER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:03:46 +1000

<mokat67_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry i was too fast with saying yes .... but in a test I started the
> recovery with the statement: ALTER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE
> UNTIL CANCEL statement and it was succesfull for a recovery with a
> cold backup + archive files.
>
> You both are talking about RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP
> CONTROLFILE ...... what is the diffrence and why should I used it
> because the ALTER .....command was succesfull.
>
> Thanks again

You seem to have missed the point. The 'using backup controlfile' part of the command is completely and utterly redundant in your circumstances, as far as I can understand what you are doing.

You only need that phrase if you have restored a binary version of the controlfile from a prior backup.

It is *not* necessary for the purposes of an incomplete recovery.

As for your question here: stick to the documented syntax.

Recover database until cancel is what you want.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Apr 14 2003 - 19:03:46 CDT