Re: Export database from 8.1.7 to 8.0.6

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:53:19 +1000

"Gabriel Gonzalez" <none_at_none.com> wrote in message news:716m9vo20fcg80bpaaoc03h7dfm5s1gisi_at_4ax.com...
> >This is about as wrong as you can get. The rule is: you use the lower
> >version of the executables against the higher version of the database,
> >thereby producing a lower-version dump file. Which is precisely what the
> >original poster did. And there is no catexp806 to be run, either.
>
> Sorry, but my first hand experience is completely opposite. I found
> that the versions os the exp/imp executables must match the
> database's.
>
> The file is not called "catexp806" it's called catexp.sql and the
> objects it creates are Oracle version dependant.
>
> I had a huge problem with this some time ago and it took a couple
> calls to Oracle support to get it straightened out, that's why I
> remember it so well.

Whilst respecting your experience, it remains the case that you don't need to run any scripts to get an 8.0 export to work against an 8.1 database, but merely use the 8.0 executable to connect to the 8.1 database. Which gets you an 8.0 dump file, which imports into 8.0 without a problem.

This is standard practice, and has been mentioned on this group many, many times in the past.

Sybrand will fill you in.

Probably.

Catexp.sql is certainly needed to create the export_full_database and import_full_database roles (a job which catexp7.sql also does, and it is catexp7.sql which the database configuration assistant still calls, even in 9i, interestingly enough). But it doesn't change the 'lower executables against higher database' advice.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Apr 14 2003 - 17:53:19 CDT