Distributed transaction parallelization in docs

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:56:39 +0300

Hi!

Oracle docs from 8.1.7 to 9.2 state that when executing command:

INSERT /* APPEND PARALLEL (t3,2) */ INTO t3 SELECT * FROM t4_at_dblink;

..it will be serialized, *because the query is done on remote object*.
Check:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96520/tuningpe
.htm#73112

But at least my tests show that on remote side (8.1.7.1) Oracle parallelizes the query anyway, and the insert on local server (9.2.0.1) is parallelized too. I queried v$pq_sesstat from local and remote server for that (queries parallelized and DML parallelized statistics).

Also, PX event 10392 trace on server side showed that slaves were started and were in use + v$px_sesstat statistic 98 (direct writes) showed that parallel slaves were doing the job.

So, whom to believe, documentation or my own tests? ;)

OS version here is irrelevant but it's Solaris 8 in both cases. One more note: the source/remote table has parallel degree 4, parallel_max_servers on both instances are default -> 5

Thank you,
Tanel. Received on Mon Apr 14 2003 - 11:56:39 CDT