Re: Starting a Snapshot of a Database

From: Anton Rang <rang_at_visi.com>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 09:15:20 -0500

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> writes:
> I am planing to "clone" a database residing on a disk array via the
> snapshot [...] Oracle 8.1.7, EMC CX-400 (Clarion), Sun E3500/Solaris 2.7.
>
> My question is, since it is a good practice to keep active copies of
> the control file and of redolog files on *different* devices, they are
> not all residing on the LUN that is to be copied with the snapshot.
> That means that the new "cloned" Database won't start because some
> files are missing.

You need to snapshot all of those files. I'm not sure if the snapshots have to be taken at exactly the same time -- probably not, once you've switched Oracle into backup mode. They do have to be done within the same backup session, of course.

Check out

  http://www.sun.com/storage/software/availability/oracle-pit.html

There's a step-by-step guide to snapshotting an Oracle database under the link at

  http://www.sun.com/storage/software/availability/pit_oracle_usage.pdf

Oracle may well have documentation on their site as well.