Re: What problems do a lack of Tablespace cause?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:55:26 +0100

"Tim Bedford" <timbedford_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a411bafb.0304140502.59df2510_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I have a fixed size table stored in the system tablespace, which is
> running at 98% full. Can anyone tell me what actual problems this
> might cause? I can find lots of references that say it is 'bad', but
> not why or what would happen.

When an object cannot extend the operation that it is trying to add more data into it receives an error message and doesn't succeed. As the SYSTEM tablespace contains(or should) data dictionary objects it should be fairly obvious that this could kill your database.

> Could this error be caused by a lack of tablespace?
> ORA-00312: online log 2 thread 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SID\REDO02.LOG'

ORA-00312 online log string thread string: 'string'

Cause: This message reports the file name for details of another message.

Action: Other messages will accompany this message. See the associated messages for the appropriate action to take.

So probably not, but what are the other error messages.

> If so would setting AUTOEXTEND to ON remove any dangers?
> thanks,

It would remove the risk of objects failing to extend when they couldn't allocate a new extent from the available free space in the file. It adds the risk (unless you specify maxsize) of filling the disk.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA