Re: Oracle9i and CREATE DATABASE

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:55:14 +1000

I suppose your confusion arises from the fact that 'connect sys/haslo as sysdba' works, and you therefore believe that the password file has been read and understood -and then it bombs out on you!

So, try the following:

connect kgdfjdhfgouebfdgdjgjdfg/jdfksdjfdfjskfdsjfksf as sysdba

I reckon it will work (but I might be wrong). If it does, it means you have O/S authentication enabled (nothing wrong with that if so), and the initial 'connect sys/haslo...' is being ignored as much as the gibberish above would be.

Which would mean that you don't have a problem of one minute Oracle understanding the password file, and another not, but that it *never* understands it. You get connected, and get your instance because O/S authentication has kicked in. But when the init.ora says to use the EXCLUSIVE password file, sparks fly.

The simplest fix, if the above connect works, would be to set remote_login_passwordfile to NONE, and proceed to create your database.

The alternative is to delete the existing password file, make sure the Windows account you're using is not a member of the ORA_DBA group (otherwise O/S authentication will kick in and you won't be able to tell if the password file is working or not), and then use the orapwd command line tool to create a brand new password file.

The syntax should be evident if you do 'orapwd /?' at the command line.

Regards