Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 10:41:39 GMT

Following up on Peter J. Holzer, 14 Apr 2003:

> interpreter is a VM. For example I wouldn't call a Bourne shell a VM,
> because to me the term "virtual machine" implies that it interpretes a
> "machine-like" instruction set, i.e., usually some kind of byte-code.

Exactly. The base of my disagreement with you.

> However, PL/SQL is compiled to byte-code just like Java, and I would not
> hesitate to call the interpreter for PL/SQL bytecode a virtual machine.

I would.

> Really? I cannot think of any other DB vendor which offers Java for
> stored procedures at the moment.

Me neither. I said "supplier", not "db vendor". By this I mean the application server suppliers. As for the db vendors, NONE has fallen for the trap of the JVM inside the db engine. Why do you reckon this is so? It really doesn't make much sense if you think about it for a while.

It creates a LOT more problems than it solves. In Oracle's case, it was a nice and easy way of showing they were quite flexible and to add complex processing capabilities to PL/SQL without recoding the language interpreter top to bottom. But that's all.

No one inside Oracle will seriously suggest running extensive Java Beans inside the db's JVM. It just is not as scalable as a proper app server.

> What has that to do with whether the JVM runs in the same process as the
> PL/SQL interpreter or in a different?

Everything. That level of integration between the two requires a LOT of specific coding EVERY SINGLE TIME Sun delivers a new version of Java. Just not feasible. And I won't even touch the compatibility problems.

> Downloading a new JVM from Sun and installing it over the Oracle JVM may
> or may not work, but it's certainly not a supported option.

Exactly.

> (Of course the JVM is rather big and may have some exploitable security
> holes. But then Oracle isn't lean either and regularly appears on
> bugtraq)

Quite true. Nobody is perfect.

--
Cheers