Re: CPU waiting for... what? (mistery)

From: Maxim S. Shatskih <maxim_at_storagecraft.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:19:33 +0400

> Disagree. I/O wait: CPU would do something, just can't.
> CPU idle: there is really nothing to do.

No.

I/O wait: CPU waits on the kernel event which is signaled on IO operation completion. It could execute some other thread (in fact, it is the thread who waits, not the CPU), but, since there is nothing to do, the CPU just waits.
CPU idle: same as the above, but there is no pending IO operations.

    Max Received on Sun Apr 13 2003 - 09:19:33 CDT