Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_hjp.at>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:52:06 +0200

On 2003-04-10 01:25, Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> pete_at_mynix.org wrote in message news:<1049912746.28535.0_at_despina.uk.clara.net>...
>

>> What do you think PL/SQL depends on? It is interpreted, not even
>> truely compiled. PL/SQL also depends on some run time interpreter, the
>> only difference is that they don't call it "virtual machine".

> Not really. A virtual machine is MUCH more than just a runtime
> interpreter.

Actually, no. A virtual machine is an interpreter. No more, no less.

> The PL/SQL "interpreter" actually runs in the same
> address space as the SQL engine and the rest of the db. The JVM
> is a completely different beast.

It is possible that Oracle decided to run the JVM in a different process. It's a rather strange, though, as the JVM was designed to be embeddable. (I also don't remember seeing any extra JVM processes, but then I played around with Java in the DB only briefly).

> It has to be totally separate or all hell breaks lose on security.

Quite similar to some PL/SQL packages like UTL_FILE.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | zu Fortran.