Re: [ANNOUNCE] Senora: a replacement for sqlplus

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:04:41 +0200

Phil Britton wrote:
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> writes:
>

>>fvanbortel_at_netscape.net said...

>>>Patentzuckerluxusbonbonmitedelholzhandgriffe...
>>>Hauptstaatseisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber...
>>>Grossrechner, schnittstelle, Datenverarbeitungsanlage
>>>

>>Wow! Exactly! Can you just see the SELECT statement:
>>
>>select Patentzuckerluxusbonbonmitedelholzhandgriffe
>>from Hauptstaatseisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber
>>where Grossrechner = Datenverarbeitungsanlage;
>>
>>Not knowing multi-syllabic German, I'm not sure what I just selected!
>>German newspapers must love justifying lines with words like those. :)

> I think you'd get a table doesn't exist error. I'm pretty sure the
> original poster meant to use:
>
> Hauptstadtseisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber
>
> Unless using Hauptstaat... instead of Hauptstadt... was a Freudian
> slip :-) i.e "...ueber alles" etc.
>
> (I'm afraid only german speakers will understand most of this)
>
> cheers
>
> Phil

Nope - Haupt StaatsEisenBahn.... Head State Railways.., etc. etc. The first two are actually jokes, brought forward by my german teacher, for just the same reason; the first is a lolli (lollipop, popsicle), the second a railway switch operator (senior, I might add). All other terms are official german computer related vocabulary: mainframe (literally: big calulator),
interface (literally: crossing place),
processing unit (literally: data processing place)

French has the same kind of "purifications", btw: ordinateur for computer, but that's another thread.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel