Re: 8.1.7 Enterprise memory limit?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:16:55 +0200

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:21:15 +0200, "Axel Stahl" <stahl_at_pdg-online.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>thans for the reply.
>If I got this right, when Windows 2000 can handle
>4 GB then Oracle is able to use it without further
>things to worry about, right?

No. The standard edition of Win2k isn't capable to do this. It will grab 50 percent of RAM for itself always. You'll need the advanced server booted with the 3/GB switch. As you see from the switch NT will still get 1 Gb.
You should also seriously consider what you are up to. If you allocate for 4G of SGA that server is going to page like hell, and your 'smart' move will effect exactly a contrary effect. Oracle also recommends not using more than one third of physical RAM. Allocating RAM is not the method to get around a poorly written application.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Apr 13 2003 - 05:16:55 CDT