Re: Oracle 9i Linux and raw devices

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 04:22:12 GMT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:16:41 -0600, Andreas wrote:

> 64-bit File I/O
> Linux supports 64-bit file I/O even on 32-bit platforms like Intel
> Pentiumbased
> servers. Oracle9iR2 supports 64-bit file offsets internally, hence there are
> no 2GB or 4GB limitations on data, log and control files. The limits on number
> of files per database (64K), number of blocks per file (4 million), and
> maximum block size (16KB) are common to other Oracle platforms. Based on these
> limits, the maximum size for a database file is 64GB, and the maximum database
> size with 16KB blocks is 4 petabytes. ...
>
> is the raw device limit 4 PB?

There is only one way to settle the dispute and that is to create a tablespace on a raw device with more then 2GB, populate it and then try to select from it. If you decide to be so kind, please let us know. I am not using Linux in production, so I'm not particularly interested. I'll wait for AMD Clawhammer or Intel Itanic, if Intel ever manages to salvage it from the performance iceberg that it has hit.

--
Mladen Gogala

Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some people appear bright