Re: Oracle 8i login is very slow

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 21:13:52 GMT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:19:19 -0700, John D wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

>> Check your sqlnet.ora on both machines. I suspect they are not identical.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>>

> They are identical:
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
>
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
The thing slowing you down is:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) which, essentially, tells Oracle*Net to use local MS version of Kerberos. That brings a 3d node into play, the authentication node, which should provide your local node with a key to encrypt all its packets. If you don't have kerberos configured, then Oacle will search for the Kerberos server in vain, by sending out UDP packets and waiting for a response. It will proceed only when a timeout occurs. Here is my sqlnet.ora:

$ pg $TNS_ADMIN/sqlnet.ora
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OEM\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

# NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD # SQLNET.CRYPTO_SEED = 4fhfguweotcadsfdsafjkdsfqp5f201p45mxskdlfdasf NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = adelphia.net

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) SQLNET.CRYPTO_SEED = 4fhfguweotcadsfdsafjkdsfqp5f201p45mxskdlfdasf

It works lika charm, from all my PCs (3 of them). My database server is on RH 8.0, but that shouldn't be of any importance.

--
Mladen Gogala

Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some people appear bright