Re: Ora-3114?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:39:41 GMT

nieistotny_at_a.com said...
> Hello!
>
> Client: Application (exe) on Windows station, connected to Oracle Server.
> Server: Ora9.2 SE.
>
> I got this error on start some operation from application - other operations
> runs ok.
>
> For sure, neither ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION nor ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT
> SESSION didn't occur from DBA ;-)
>
> On another installation: this same application, Oracle and database all it's
> ok.
>
> What I should to check?
> It is "some" networking problem?
>
> Regards,
> Ariel;

Hmmm ... you must be the DBA who did NOT disconnect their session.

If I were to get this problem, I'd first point a finger at my developers ... and if they were innocent (yes, it does happen occastionally), I'd check for network problems. You can rest assured, however, that Oracle doesn't arbitrarily decide to dump someone's session because it holds some grudge against that session.

Is the EXE application inhouse or from someone else? Many times an application, especially in today's web world, will connect, do its thing, then disconnect. Sometimes, a developer will forget to throw an exception when the connect doesn't work, and so Oracle will throw its own exception (the 3114, not connected) when they try to do some sql. (In the old days, we'd get this kind of error when some developer would close a cursor somewhere inside a nested IF statement that almost never got executed ... so it would appear to randomly occur.)

If you have access to the source code, have a look at it yourself ... for places where the app connects without error trapping ... or disconnects inside a nested IF statement. If it really turns out to be that the developer is not at fault (hard to imagine, actually), then turn to your network admin for help.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA