Re: Listener won't start

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:26:10 GMT

member26332_at_dbforums.com said...

> Hi,
>
> Oracle8i is installed on both Windows and my Unix box and there are
> networked. If I start windows without starting my Unix box, then sqlplus
> works on window for my “local” db. If both computers are started, then I
> can use sqlplus but connect only to my Unix db and I cannot start my
> windows’ Listener, which then prevents me from accessing my “local” db.
> When I go to Services and try to start it, it says I have to contact my
> administrator. Is there a way to start both local and remote db and have
> both listeners started as well? If so, then how do I set it up?
>
> Thank you for your anticipated help.
>
> --

You may (or may not) be able to start Listener manually:

  1. Open a DOS window
  2. Type lsnrctl start

However, from your description, it sounds like your listener is running on both boxes already. Are you aware that there are two Net8 config files? The listener.ora defines your server side, the tnsnames.ora defines your client side. In your case, you should have both files on both boxes.

When you are on your Windows box, you connect to your local db with:

sqlplus localuser/localpassword

You connect to your unix db with:

sqlplus remoteuser/remotepassword_at_unix_box

where unix_box is defined in your PC's tnsnames.ora.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA