Re: _disable_logging does not seems to work

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:13:07 +0800

charlie cs wrote:

> We are using 9.2.020 on windows 2000.
> We have a database for testing purpose. Every time we recreate the new
> database and then importing the data from production to ensure identical
> environment for testing purpose.
>
> I set _disable_logging=true to speed up the import. But oracle still using
> the online redo logs, when I search against the v$log, I can still see the
> status of log member changing from inactive=>current=>active.
>
> How can I completely turn off the redo logging? Unable to recove is not our
> concern here. We just want a fast import.
>
> Thanks for your help.

You're probably better off just cloning your database and restoring the datafiles.

But in any event, _disable_logging turns off the actual write-to-disk operation, but everything else will proceed as per normal. So you will get 'log switches', checkpoints etc etc...

If you really need to use this parm, you need it in conjunction with massive redo logs, and altering the various parameters the control or initiate checkpoints. Note that when this is done, you often just end up with a dbwr bottleneck instead of a redo one

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"