Re: TWO_TASK

From: eugenep <eugene_at_mail.gsfc.state.ga.us>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 09:14:35 -0700

> Version 8.1.7. Server installation.
>
> I can't connect as sqlplus system/password but I can connect as
> system/password_at_NET8_SERVICENAME.
> Setting TWO_TASK=NET8_SERVICENAME removes the problem but I don't know why I
> need TWO_TASK in a server installation.
> Anybody help?
>
> Ray

I'm running 8.1.7 on an HP-UX server. Make sure your ORACLE_SID is a valid instance on your server. That's all we have ever had to worry about. We've never had occasion to use TWO_TASK since the databases' inception. TWO_TASK most likely defaults to NULL on HP-UX.

Oh yeah, I do remember doing something for a user once. The program was on ServerA, but the database was on ServerB. The /etc/tnsnames.ora file on ServerA DID have a connect string for the database on ServerB. Prior to running the program I did the following:

TWO_TASK=tns:gsfd_tcp; export TWO_TASK

The program totally ignored the ORACLE_SID on ServerA and used the database on ServerB. The end user was pleased. I DID have to remember to do the following RIGHT AFTER the program ended:

unset TWO_TASK

That command sets TWO_TASK back to NULL. Hope this helps.

Eugene Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 11:14:35 CDT