Re: spawning a new connection from within pl/sql

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 08:49:32 -0700

"enquiry" <noone_at_hometownz.co.uk> wrote in message news:<b73gmv$119$1_at_sparta.btinternet.com>...
> I'm trying to work out how to spawn a new connection from within pl/sql.
>
> I want to embed a password in a stored (wrapped) procedure and then issue
> execute privilege on that procedure to selected users.
>
> I can't use the invoker/declarer rights as my control for access because the
> end package I need to run is a 3rd party pacakge with its own security based
> on it looking up the calling "user" against its own table of privileges. So,
> I need to set up this intermediate step where I make this middle procedure
> perform an account session switch. (And I don't want to start editing the
> 3rd party packages!)
>
> I've been trying to work out how to use the "proxy user" functionality but
> can't work out how to implement it. I can issue the grant "connect through"
> to users but then can't work out how to make it work. I may be barking up
> the wrong tree anyway.

Hi Mark,
connecting from pl/sql won't work.
The proxy user functionality is best suited for multitier apps using a directory <http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96573/glossary.htm#433758> I don't know what exactly you are doing but if you want to have some real control you need to go to pro*c of oci to do the connects and call the package. Maybe something like an external procedure might work for you ?

How does the package find out who is calling it ?

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 10:49:32 CDT